Modern Farmhouse Table: Construction
Well…..I just completed another building project….and this one I tried to document as best as I could. My brother asked me to build him a new kitchen table so I once again browsed some building plans from ana-white.com. I came across this one; http://ana-white.com/2010/02/plans-narrow-farmhouse-table-beginner.html and really liked and it was approved by Ted. I made some changes to the building plan but this is probably the most closely followed Ana-White plan that I’ve used. Mostly, I just changed the dimensions of the table and left-out the end stretcher since it’s going to be used as a kitchen table. I also tweaked the same building plan to make a bench to match.
Anyways, I jotted down all my notes/measurements and headed off to Lowe’s. I tried to maximize all my cuts and buy the least amount of wood possible. I was thinking that if I bought 10’ or 12’ long pieces that it would be cheaper than a 8’ section but the price/ft is actually cheaper for 8’ lengths. I purchased all premium whitewood boards and bought some 2x2”s, 1x4”s, 1x6”s, and 1x8”s. They fit nicely in my Scion. I also purchased some screws and some paint (more on the finish to come later).
For the tabletop, I decided on 5-1x8”s at 72”….I was actually able to buy 6’ lengths, so no cuts were needed for that….awesome! I then moved forward and cut everything needed with my miter saw. I made separate piles for the bench and then for the table. After everything was cut, I focused my attention on to tapering the legs. Ana-White’s plan made it look pretty simple with some precise measurements but when I tried to cut the first piece on my table saw….it wasn’t quite perfect and it wasn’t something that was going to be easily replicable. So I used that first one as a template for all the others. I added the width of the template to the desired width of the end product and set my table saw fence to that width. I then ran both the template and the table leg through the table saw at the same time. This created 8 identical tapered legs and then another 8 legs for the bench. Since I used all 1x4”s, I needed to cut off 3/4” of half the legs so that they would be square.
Once they were tapered and paired up, I drilled some pocket holes AND I used a biscuit cutter (given to me by Dave Noble) to cut in some holes for biscuits. I put some glue on the biscuits, clamped it all together, and then screwed it all together to hold it strong while the glue dried. Once dried, I put some wood filler in the bottom pocket holes and used my router (also given to me by Dave Noble) to round off all the edges.
The table/bench legs took a really long time to put together but I think it was time worth spent. The tapered effect makes it look pretty professional and rounded edges are always nice.
There are no comments on this entry.
There are no trackbacks on this entry.